Why Take A Multivitamin?
Multivitamins are something that has popped up as a trend to take in the past few years. Every day you see celebrities, influencers, and other online personalities raving about taking their vitamins. Entire apps have been invented to remind you to take medications and multivitamins. Are multivitamins even necessary to take? Don’t we just ingest vitamins naturally when we eat?
The short answer to that question is yes, we do. The long answer? We don’t. When we don’t eat enough fruits or vegetables, we miss out on essential nutrients, which can raise our risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and other health conditions. According to the Centres for Disease Control, adults should be consuming 1.5-2 cups of fruit and 2-3 cups of veggies daily. Yet in a recent study, the CDC found that 76% of adults don’t eat enough fruit and 87% of adults don’t eat enough veggies.
So how do you get your nutrients? A multivitamin. These little pills are like an insurance policy, a daily guarantee to ensure your body gets the vitamins and minerals it needs. It can make up for the shortfalls that happen when you don’t get what you need through food.
7 Reasons to Take A Multivitamin
- Healthy Aging: As we age, our nutritional needs increase. At the same time, it gets harder for the body to absorb nutrients. Medications can further deplete our body of nutrients. A multivitamin from Old Fashion Foods can offset these deficiencies.
- Good For Your Heart: Studies show that taking a high quality multivitamin may reduce cardiovascular disease. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women in the U.S. Vitamins B1, B2, B6, K1, Niacin (B3), CoQ10, and magnesium all play a role in cardiovascular health.
- Reduces Cancer Risk: Vitamin use has been associated with a decreased risk of some cancers. A recent study of 14,000 men aged 50 and older found that daily multivitamin supplementation “significantly reduced the risk of total cancer”.
- Boosts Immunity: Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant known for strengthening the immune system. Vitamins D and E boost immunity too. These vitamins can also help reduce allergy symptoms.
- Supports Eye Health: Vitamins A, C, E, Niacin, and selenium support eye health. Lutein and Zeaxnthin also protect the eyes from harmful light waves. Studies have shown multivitamins can reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Healthy Hair and Skin: New research says to look for vitamins B3, biotin, and Vitamin C for fuller hair. For healthy skin, look for vitamins A, E, C, or CoQ10.
- Feel Better: Thanks in large part to the vitamin B family, taking a multivitamin is associated with a boost in energy levels, feelings of well-being, as well as a decrease in stress and anxiety. This alone makes it worth taking a vitamin per day.
Where to Get Them
There are hundreds of different types of each vitamin, with different suppliers offering different incentives to buy. How do you choose? Head down to one of the 5 Old Fashion Foods locations in Regina, and speak to the amazing team there! The staff is knowledgeable about all kinds of vitamins and health boosting supplements, and can help you find the perfect one for you.