S-adenosyl-L-methionine, or SAMe, is an important cofactor molecule, made from the amino acid methionine. Produced and consumed in the liver, SAMe is a helper molecule, involved in over 40 methyl group transfers. This process, called methylation, is required for many biochemical reactions, like gene expression, DNA repair, maintaining cell membrane fluidity, and metabolizing fats and minerals. Many underlying health issues can be a result of impaired methylation.
SAMe is involved in:
- Cellular growth and repair
- Preventing cell mutations
- DNA methylation and epigenetic regulation
- Brain chemistry and the production of serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline for mood, motivation and general mental wellbeing
- Boosting production of glutathione, a powerful liver antioxidant that protects us from free radical damage from alcohol and other toxins
- Regulating inflammation
- With all these interactions, SAMe or a lack of it can be very influential to our health.
Many studies show SAMe to be effective with mood balance, osteoarthritis and liver function.
MEDICINAL INGREDIENT — EACH TABLET CONTAINS:
SAMe (S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Disulfate Tosylate) 400 mg.
Microcrystalline Cellulose, Silica, Stearic Acid, Pregelatinized Starch.
RECOMMENDED DOSE — (ORAL) ADULTS ONLY:
Take 1 tablet three times per day. Avoid taking at bedtime.
DURATION OF USE:
Use for a minimum of 2 weeks to see beneficial effects.
Consult a health care practitioner if you are taking anti-depressants, hepatotoxic drugs or any other prescription medication; or if symptoms persist or worsen. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you have cardiovascular disease. Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding; or if you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Some people may experience anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, and/or a temporary increase in heart rate (tachycardia), in which case discontinue use. Flatulence, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, dry mouth or headaches may occur.